Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pope Francis Quotes


If Sue will forgive me, I must mention another book:

"Pope Francis in his own words" contains wise words of Pope Francis himself. If, like me, you are hungry for Pope Francis’ thoughts and advice on a wide range of spiritual and political topics, the book is a great resource.  I’ll quote a few of my favorites here:

1.   “The fact that a woman can’t be a priest doesn’t mean that she is less than a man…it’s more.  In our conception, the Blessed Virgin Mary is above the apostles.”  (The last line was not in the book but was what followed in the full text.)

2.  “God is not like the idols, who have ears but don’t listen.  He’s not like the powerful, who listen only to what they wish.  He listens to everything…and He doesn’t just listen; He loves to listen.”

3.  “My parents first met in 1934 at Mass... they were married the following year.”

4.  “We should commit ourselves to “Eucharistic coherence”; that is, we should be conscious that people cannot receive Holy Communion and at the same time act or speak against the commandments, in particular when abortions, euthanasia, and other serious crimes against life and family are facilitated. This responsibility applies particularly to legislators, governors and health professionals.”

     A WORD OF CAUTION: I think there were brief quotes on certain topics like birth control, Eastern religion and homosexual unions that were taken out of context but since I cannot access the original documents, I’m going to quote the full text of Pope Francis’ letter to contemplative monasteries regarding homosexual unions (which was surprisingly not contained in the book):

5.  “In the coming weeks, the Argentine people will face a situation whose outcome can seriously harm the family…At stake is the identity and survival of the family: father, mother and children. At stake are the lives of many children who will be discriminated against in advance, and deprived of their human development given by a father and a mother and willed by God. At stake is the total rejection of God’s law engraved in our hearts.  Let us not be naive: this is not simply a political struggle, but it is an attempt to destroy God’s plan. It is not just a bill (a mere instrument) but a ‘move’ of the father of lies who seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.”

   If you are looking for more quotable quotes to reflect on and are a discerning reader who is not in danger of being swayed on Church teachings, this book contains gems.  But it barely skimmed the surface of who our new pope really is.  I am craving for more.  Has anyone read his biography “On Heaven and Earth” yet?  Would you recommend it?

2 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Anabelle,

Your opening sentence made me smile! I love reading your book reviews, even though one day I might be poor if I buy everything you recommend. I shall just have to learn some self-control. Then again, I can just buy them all and then say, "Anabelle Hazard was instrumental in my faith formation. I am a saint, not because of copious amounts of body butter, but because I bought and read and meditated upon every book I saw on Anabelle's blog."

Vicky said...

I love these quotes, Anabelle. It's so good to read such orthodox teaching alongside Pope Francis' more progressive changes to the papacy.

Thank you for sharing, Anabelle.

God bless:-)