Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Princesses and Photos for Lent




For a long time, I refused to get excited about the princess culture.  That was before I saw Frozen.  Since I fell in love with the songs and the self-sacrificing sisterhood theme, I’ve changed my mind.  I’ve come accept that little girls will always want to be princesses. So this Lent, my daughters and I are jumping into the princess bandwagon, crowns, gowns and everything.

We dug up some old scrapbook material, traced paper doll figures and created a gown, jewelry, shoes, crowns, veils and other accessories.   Every time the girls do a loving act in secret, they get to paste on their designs to their princess. I’m trying to instill in them that if they love and offer sacrifices for Jesus they are going to be saints who live like princesses with their own castles in heaven. The lesson is that their secret crosses on earth will be their crowns for eternity.  The objective is to do as many good things to create a sparkling, one of a kind dress.   I can’t tell you how much the girls love it and are counting down the days till Ash Wednesday.

Besides that, we are taking out some gift boxes and filling it up with a sparkly stone every time we receive Communion, spend time in Adoration or visit the Blessed Sacrament.  (You can also use any jar or basket to collect your stones.)  The message I hope we get is that any time we receive or adore Jesus, we give him a gift and we receive graces.

As for me, I’m going to take St. Faustina’s advice.


        Being a long-winded blogger that I am, I’m going to just take pictures for Lent and join the Catholic Sistas in their Lenten Photo a Day Journey on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest. 


       I know, I know, pictures speak a thousand words. But knowing me, I won't be able to resist writing a brief saint quote or reflection on the pictures and turn them into memes. 

            I hope you have a blessed Lent.  I’ll see you in Easter and for the Catholic Stand monthly articles.

+AMDG+

7 comments:

Mary N. said...

Hi Anabelle,
Michaela loved Frozen! I didn't get to see it myself because she went with my sister and her kids but she said it was awesome. I love your princess ideas for Lent. We are doing a "virtues" bucket for Lent this year - I still have to get my post up though.

I hope you have a blessed Lent as well!

Anabelle Hazard said...

Hi Mary, my girls do their own rendition of Frozen all the time. Come on over! Can't wait to see your virtues bucket.

Gina Guarnere said...

Love the stone idea. Love it!

Also, I felt the same way about the photo challenge. I can't stop running my mouth, so I'm pretty sure I'd fail Day 1.

Peggy O'Flaherty said...

Anabelle, I am enjoying keeping love in Lent already, as I am inspired by these amazing Catholic Moms, like yourself. My 4 girls loved Frozen and had tears at the end of the movie, then my 1 son asked in the car "why all the fuss and tears over such a girlie movie." Thank you especially for your St. Faustina quote. Love the silence, even though it is rare.
Peggy
http://creatingspaceinyourlife.com

Anabelle Hazard said...

Gina, I'm enjoying the silence so much --so surprising. I haven't taken a single photo. HAve I slipped into sloth?

Peggy, yes, I cried too and those Catholic moms are amazing inspiration and support.

somedaysaints said...

What a neat way to show your girls how their sacrifices and acts of love change us and get us to heaven! I ove it. You've also inspired me to try to get back to the photo a day challenge...which I started, and then forgot/got lazy.

April Powell said...

I am glad frozen brought that magic and light in your life as to how all children love to pretend to be princesses. And explaining to them that they are princesses of God. How creative this is. I can't wait to use this with my children one day when the time is write. I can also say my boys are prince of God.