Friday, March 16, 2012

Confessions of a Catholic Shopaholic


Forgive me, Theme Thursdays.  I'm recycling an older post about statues to join www.clan-donaldson.com.  You don't have to read it.  You can just scroll down to glimpse our altar but look up, pretty please.  The statues of my header wanted to join the statue link up because I finally enthroned my blog to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

            Psst…just between you and me: I like to SHOP.  But it’s not what you think.

When we decided to enthrone the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary in our home, I had to find just the perfect picture or image for the fireplace mantel.  I ordered the statues online only to realize that there were other pictures of Jesus and Mary that were just as beautiful.  So I ordered them, too.  Then I read about certain promises attached to the veneration of certain images and of course, I had to have those, too.   In between, I’d receive statues as gifts from family and friends who noticed that I had a compulsion for religious artifacts.
Then I browsed some more.  And ordered some more.

As packages were being delivered, my husband looked around, and exclaimed,  “Goodness! Just how many statues and pictures do you have all over the house?”
“I don’t exactly know, but don’t you think they’re all gorgeous?” Mentally, I counted.  There were less than twenty of them.  Not too bad.
He gave me ‘the eye’.  “What are you trying to do-- open a religious gift shop?”

My official collection today has swelled to THIRTY THREE ( FORTY SEVEN during the Christmas season). But ‘the eye’ doesn’t bat an eyelash anymore whenever something new adorns the shelf or is hammered on the wall.  However, I am running out of space, compelling me to admit: I may be going overboard. Just a tiny bit.



Frankly, I just don’t get the vehement opposition against statues. I like being reminded that I belong to a Holy Family in heaven. Not so much when I’m about to dip my hand into the cookie jar during fasting days. But on regular days, it’s great being able to look at another adult’s kind face and whine: “But you promised to help me!”

 The hulabaloo against Catholic tradition is that supposedly idols and graven images are banned by the First Commandment.  However, the literal interpretation is not what is referred to by the Bible, according to St. Augustine.  The Bible condemns any idol that replaces God (be it money, things, pride, sports, vanity, gluttony, sloth or self) but when the image leads us to worship God, love Him and pray to Him, there is plainly no idolatry, anymore than I idolize the pictures of my children decorating my desk.

In fact, Jesus asked for His Sacred Heart to be honored by promising St. Margaret Mary that: “I will bless every home in which an image of my Heart is exposed and honored.” For the Enthronement ceremony, click on Enthronement     

As testimony to the Sacred Heart’s blessings, I am not the only one with a penchant for statues these days. My husband hand-paints corpuses and crafts wood crosses.  (He does a pretty good job of it, too if I do say so myself.  See sample on our throne if you don’t believe me. ) He produces them en masse for the Ave Maria gift shop.   When I ventured to his carpentry shop, I counted three corpuses (or is it corpii?) in various stages of the assembly line.  
“Honey,” I said, sweeping my arms around his workspace.  “Is this the Hazard factory outlet?”   

Unfortunately, friends, the Sacred Heart of Jesus is not currently in stock, and it won’t be for a long time UNTIL CHILD LABOR BECOMES LEGAL.   You should try online shopping.   A quick caveat emptor (let the buyer beware):  Don’t get addicted to shopping because then your love for religious art might just be literal and figurative idolatry.   Not that I’m speaking from experience.  I’m just saying: one could be addicted, hypothetically speaking.  That’s all I’m saying.
In any case, there is a support group out there.  I’ll give you my husband’s email.

*There are 13 Promises of a devotion to the Sacred Heart.  

3 comments:

Rebekah Es said...

Oh this is so funny, love it! And yes, I totally get lost around catholic gift shops, and I have never yet regretted a purchase, unlike other places I have shopped!

Your collection looks beautiful!

Natalie said...

I love your statue of Mary! I really love statues with bright color. They make me feel joyful when I see them. I really enjoyed your post.

Micaela Darr said...

HAHAHAHA! A Catholic Shopaholic. I guess if you're going to spend your money, that's the way to do it, right? ;)

Beautiful, all of them.