Monday, July 16, 2012

Advice from the Carmelite Saints

I’m on a list-quoting roll here, I realize that.   But the Feast Day of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel  merits the wise words of the Carmelite saints more than my own words:
Source: carmelnet.org
1.         Sr. Lucia Santos, Fatima seer and Carmelite nun:  Devotion to the Immaculate Heart would be key, as the certain door by which we are to enter Heaven...There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary. With the Holy Rosary, we will save ourselves. We will sanctify ourselves. We will console Our Lord and obtain the salvation of many souls... When lovers are together, they spend hours and hours repeating the same thing: ‘I love you!’  What is missing in the people who think the rosary is monotonous is love.”

2.         St. Therese of Liseux, The Story of a Soul:  “…When I’m in this state, the Bible and The Imitation of Christ come to my rescue.  In them, I find hidden manna, a pure and substantial food.  But, above all, the Gospels help me in my prayers.  They are always showing me new ways of looking at things and I am always finding hidden and mysterious meanings in them.  I understand and, by experience I know that the Kingdom of God is within us.  Jesus has no need of books or doctors of the Church to guide souls.  He, the Doctor of doctors, can teach without words.  I have never heard Him speak, but I know that He is within me.  He guides and inspires me every moment of the day.  Just when I need it, a new light shines on my problems.”

3.         Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity, The Complete Works:  “I truly believe that God wants your life to be spent in a realm where the air breathed is divine.  Oh! You see, I have a profound compassion for souls that live only for this world and its trivialities; I consider them as slaves, and I wish I could tell them: Shake off the yoke that weighs you down; what are you doing with these bonds that chain you to yourself and to things less than yourself?  It seems to me that the happy ones of this world are those who have enough contempt and forgetfulness of self to chose the Cross as their lot! What delightful peace we experience when we place our joy in suffering.”

4.         St. John of the Cross, Dark Night of the Soul:  “So if the soul is going to pass into this greatness, the dark night of contemplation has to annihilate her, first.  Her inferior tendencies must come undone…And so the soul is brought first into emptiness and poverty of spirit. She is purged of every natural support, consolation, and perception, from above or from below.  Only then, radically empty, stripped naked of the old self, is she truly poor of spirit.  Only then can she live that new and blessed life.  This is the dark night.  This is what yields union with God.”

5.         St. Teresa of Avila, Exclamations of the soul to God:  “Let nothing trouble you, let nothing frighten you. All things are passing; God never changes. Patience obtains all things. He who possesses God lacks nothing: God alone suffices.”

6.         Our Lady of Mount Carmel, appearing at Garbandal, Spain sent two messages to the world. This is the first message: “October 18, 1961—You must make many sacrifices, perform much penance, and visit the Blessed Sacrament frequently. But first, you must lead good lives. If you do not, a chastisement will befall you. The cup is already filling up, and if you do not change, a very great chastisement will come upon the world.
 (For the Church’s position on the apparitions and the message, read: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/garabandal.htm)


7.         St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross: “In the heart of Jesus, which was pierced, the kingdom of heaven and the land of earth are bound together. Here is for us the source of life. This heart is the heart of the Triune Divinity, and the center of all human hearts... It draws us to itself with secret power, it conceals us in itself in the Father's bosom and floods us with the Holy Spirit. This heart, it beats for us in a small tabernacle where it remains mysteriously hidden in that still, white host… To make room in our life for the Eucharistic Lord, so that He can change our life into His, is that asking too much?

Bonus Quote from my future Carmelite hopefuls.  (Okay, okay, I’m the one who is hopeful of vocations.    These two just seem to enjoy dressing up for All Saints Day.)

M, 4:  “Mama, I don’t want to be a momma cause I don’t want to pick up toys all day.”
Me:  “Do you want to marry Jesus and be a nun?  You won’t have to pick up any toys at all.”
M, 4:  “No.  I’ll just tell my kids we can live in a pigsty.”


Guess I'm just going to have to be content with the powers of the brown scapular sacramental.  


+AMDG

1 comment:

mary333 said...

Love the quotes and the picture of your future saints! "No, I'll just tell my kids we can live in a pigsty." I wonder where she picked up that one? Funny!!