Saturday, December 08, 2012

Animals and Advent


I wish I was an animal sometimes.  They have the communication thing down so easy, no need to worry about grammar, style and structure.  Take dogs for instance.  They bark “ARF! ARF” and we know immediately the mailman's out there with a box of Christmas packages (Be still, my heart).  All lions have to do is ROARRRR and the animal kingdom understands it means: “Run for your life! I’m coming to get you!”  A simple MOO from momma cow and little calf knows, “Hey Junior, come get your milk before Farmer Bob leaves you with slim pickings.”
Meanwhile, here’s me, down with the flu, confused by a head stuffed up with cold gunk it feels like I'm wearing another head, desperately wanting to write something profound for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception... and all I’ve got is a vague theme,  some kind of mish mashed outline and a lame draft that's not all coming together nicely.
Now if I were a mouse, all I’d have to do is mouth SQUEAK SQUEAK and you’d know what I mean is this: “Today, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception marks the end of our adoption process.  Nine months ago, on the Feast of the Annunciation, we joined our Diocese 40 Days for Life Campaign by spiritually adopting a baby in danger of abortion.  We named her Emily and prayed daily for her parents to choose life and for her to be given a blessed life.   We took in Emily right after I miscarried.  I imagine Emily right now is in the loving arms of her mother.”
See how easy they have it?
                 Or else I could say COCKADOODLEDOO, HONK, BAA which is = “We began this practice of “adoption” after my first miscarriage.  Four years ago, we took in a 9 year old named Joy from the Philippines through the Christian Foundation for Children and the Aging and have been donating to her family and corresponding with her. Our humble little friend always thanks us but truth be told, her letters give us more JOY than she will ever know.”
Throw in a little MEOW, OINK, RIBBIT and it translates to: “There is something about adoption that squeezes my heart.  My law school thesis was on adoptee’s rights. When I practiced, I called dibs on the adoption cases that floated in.   My first novel, predictably, starred an adoptive family.  And whenever my friend walks in with her 7 adoptive children, my heart hopes that someday soon God will bless us with another baby …biological or adoptive or both.”
Finally, I’d bray a HEE-HAW here and snort a NEIGH NEIGH there and you’d know instantly I’m thinking about how Mary and Joseph traveled on that silent, sacred night, waiting, waiting, waiting in joyful hope for the world’s Messiah.  

        But suddenly, I'm quiet... thanking God I am human, body and soul because I can blog things from my heart like: Praise be to God now and forever for sending His son among us so that we too can be children of the Most High who can live in heaven forever!  I can even say it in a different language, watch: “GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO!”  
 Even the Holy Family's donkey never had it that good.

This Advent, I await with breathless anticipation the coming of the most precious baby in all of history: Our Lord and Savior and I thank God for the gift of precious life: mine, yours, my children here and elsewhere, all who love God and all whom God loved into existence.  May your season of waiting be blessed and fruitful in Christ!


P.S. Congratulations to Terry @ 8 kids  for winning the medal and booklet and Kathleen Basi for winning the fiction novel.  


4 comments:

-Kinsi- said...

Mary has some excellent posture in that artistic rendering, there! Hehe. I was wondering- you said "Nine months ago on the feast of the Assumption," but I know that they Assumption is Aug 15, which was not so long ago. Is that a typo or am I a pathetic reader who's missed something?

Also, I'm quite fascinated by adoption as well. Three years of marriage and no sign of bebes has us chatting about it quite often.

I love that you all "adopted" Emily in that time, though. What a great opportunity for healing and love. I'm sorry about your loss, but heartened to hear about your openness to maternity found in other avenues.

FEEL BETTER SOON! I got my flu early this season. Uck.

Anabelle Hazard said...

Kinsi, I meant the Feast of the Annunciation. Thanks for catching that. These colds ugh.

8 kids and a business said...

Lovely post, Annabelle. Only you can make the connection between animals and the Feast of the Immaculate Conception...and I don't think it was the cold medicine talking :) Can't wait to get the booklet/medallion in the mail. Get well soon....are you drinking enough fluids??

Anabelle Hazard said...

Nurse Terry, I was too achy to mind my fluids but am getting them into my girls STAT. Thanks. Might have to mail the stuff next week- we are all sick. Keep us in your prayers.