Thursday, June 06, 2013

5 Minutes of EWTN Fame


Allow a stage mama to present her daughters’ debut in Catholic show business and their first stint as “flower girls.”

The Eucharistic procession for the Feast of Corpus Christi at the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament was aired on EWTN live 5 PM Sunday night.  If you’d tuned in, you may have glimpsed a flit of a sleeve or a wisp of curl of one or both my daughters.  (The Blessed Sacrament was, after all, the main focus.) If you missed the show, no worries. Stage mama has pictures for you…
It's not an act. Fr. Miguel is really the sweetest, most humble priest.
He prayed for good weather at morning Mass and the 80% chance of rain turned to a comfortable cover of cloud.

inwardly happy

Look at all those future nuns and priests of our Church!  Despite their serious faces, mine were tickled pink to be part of the procession and I think the lure of being on TV was maybe only 30% of the appeal.   

the REAL presence

Pretty little heads
I was ecstatic to be listening to the heavenly singing of the nuns.  I know I once said the Gregorian chants were my liturgical music of preference, but  I’d vote the the Poor Clares as the true undiscovered American talents. Wonder if I can send my girls in for choir summer camp?



The solemn procession of Knights, altar boys, maidens and faithful families following the Eucharist made my soul sing to itself how much I love the Catholic traditions, and how wonderful it is to share this devotion with other devotees.

Golden palace inside is prettier of course but only TV cameras allowed in there.

I was on a spiritual high roaming the grounds at the gorgeous Monastery, where Mother Angelica rests behind the cloistered gates.  My favorite TV personality, so close and yet so far away.



My daughter took the words right out of my mouth when she hopped out of the van and hollered, “Oh the Shrine, the Shrine! I love this Church!  I’ve missed this Church!”   It’s been almost a year since our last Mass there and I know, I know, I should visit more often since thirty minutes isn’t too far of a drive.

But we really do have a lot going on.  Really.  Such as:  the other day, well, my oldest came running into the house after an emergency at the chicken coop.  She was harvesting creepy crawlies to feed the chickens when a bug bit her and it HURT! It HURT!

 I tried to rule out the poisonous spiders (black widow or brown recluses) and asked her to describe the bug.

Quick thinking Little sister grabbed a pen and paper and said,  “It looked like this mom! Black and like a cricket.”
Beetle, you think?  With a Paul McCartney goofy smile?
           With all the reality action/drama I have to put up with around here, I should be a contestant on Survivor Alabama. 


Okay. I know you’re not buying my excuse –not when faithful Catholics around the US come on pilgrimage buses to visit this Church.  So I hereby solemnly promise to try to attend the EWTN live Sunday Benediction more often and stretch our five minutes of cameo fame to 10.   If you happen to be watching and want to know which one of the veiled women I am, I'll do a discreet wave with my pinky finger when the camera pans to me.

I’ll close with Mother Angelica’s reflection on the REAL presence of the Eucharist: “To love my neighbor is to be self-sacrificing like the Eucharist.  In other words, I prefer the good of my neighbor to myself.  If I can do those things for my neighbor, I can rest assured that I love my neighbor in the same way God loves me.”
           

Same time, same place next year!

Joining  Like Mother Like Daughter's HPFR link up today and www.clan-donaldson.com for Theme Thursdays.

round button chicken

+AMDG+

14 comments:

Cari Donaldson said...

When we lived in Mississippi, I wanted to make a pilgrimage to the Shrine so much, but it never panned out. Your pictures are almost as good as having been there.

Madeline said...

Wow. Amazing. Beautiful. I am in awe.

Rebekah Es said...

So beautiful! What a great experience! Love your photos, too.

Christine said...

What a blessing to experience this.

Beautiful!

fromlittlehands said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I live about 4 hours south (for a year this time and for almost three years beginning in 2007) and I have NEVER been to the Shrine. It's on my bucket list when we move from AL! Just BEAUTIFUL pictures!

Lisa said...

How awesome- such a neat experience for your girls! And what a beautiful procession.

Laura said...

We absolutely LOVE the Shrine. We haven't been there in a few years and we wanted to badly to move down to that area but it never worked out. How exciting that your daughters got to be a part of that wonderful procession. I am firmly convinced that that place is Heaven on earth and those sisters' singing are really angels. So, yes, you really should get there more often :)

Anabelle Hazard said...

Thank you ladies for your kind comments. You make me want to go to the Shrine everyday because of the blessing it is and so that I can catch you if you happen to be visiting.

Sue Elvis said...

Anabelle,

How beautiful! I bet your girls felt very special all dressed up, accompanying Jesus in the procession. I am sure white dresses make little girls feel like little saints... so good and holy. Our girls used to call Eucharistic processions 'white processions' because of their dresses.

Thank you for sharing your photos!

mary333 said...

Love the pictures, Anabelle :) What a wonderful blessing for your daughters! And for you to see too!

Hmmm...definitely a beetle of some sort - the picture made that abundantly clear (wink, wink).

8 kids and a business said...

All moms have a sacred duty to be stage mamas! The pictures are beautiful and so were your precious girls. What a wonderful memory for all of you. Thanks for sharing your photos, Annabelle!

Anabelle Hazard said...

terry, LOL . I take my sacred duty seriously.
Mary, I grew up with Eucahristic processions and so glad my kids can too. You need to visit Mother Angelica and the beetles.

Monica said...

I'm so glad you documented it all! You are so fortunate to live nearby even if you can't get over to the Shrine often. What a wonderful memory for you and your girls! Love the beetle artwork!

Gina said...

Awwwww - I love this! It is so beautiful! What a lucky duck you are!

Thanks so much for sharing these!!!