Friday, June 14, 2013

New Age and the Need for Soul Food


In this world where science and reason reign as twin demi-gods, there is curiously a sizeable portion of intelligent Catholics being lured into the new age lair.  There’s no shortage of articulate theologians and apologists, what with Catholic publishers and websites swamping us with brilliant Catholic writers. Yet the baffling mystery of Catholics with one foot in the new age and the other in Church, remains.

I’ll solve that riddle by parting the cobwebs of the new age skeletons in my closet.

As a teenager, dabbling in Ouija Boards and fortune telling cards was part and parcel of hocus focus fun.  However, the new age charm tugged fiercely when I was in college and law school. Astral travel in psychology classes and field trips to occultists’ caves and gushing waterfalls were enticing alternatives to required classes on Theology, philosophy, business and legal cases.  There was always enough room in my bookshelf to squeeze in Deepak Chopra, Paolo Coelho, and “The Celestine Prophecy” beside the Enneagram.  Enya caterwauled with a tape on hypnosis on discovering my former life and regular Zen meditation sessions. If yoga had been peddled on every street corner as it is now, I would have signed up for some twisty poses. 

Read the rest at Catholic Stand

*With special thanks to Nancy Shuman @Breadbox Letters for providing me with my theme for this month's article.
+AMDG+

4 comments:

8 kids and a business said...

Ooh, this brings back memories of groups of us teenagers gathering in my cousin's darkened basement and spending hours with her Ouija board. I finally got so spooked by the whole thing that I eventually started refusing to participate. We have spoken to our older children about the dangers of dabbling in the occult and I pray they listen to our warnings.

Anna Yager said...

Great post, Annabelle! You hit the nail on the head - we humans NEED to experience awe and mystery, and will do all kinds of weird things to make that happen if we aren't given good guidance. I think CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien expressed this need better than anyone else I can think of.

Gina said...

Ha ha ha - I think this was most of us at least once in our lives. I was all about New Age stuff... especially reincarnation (which I assumed was how purgatory worked).

Oh sigh... how patient God is with us...

8 kids and a business makes a good point... we really should be talking to our kids about these things. I don't think my parents ever discussed it with me. My mom sorta just rolled her eyes at the books I'd purchase involving reincarnation and new age mumbo jumbo.

Anabelle Hazard said...

So true Gina and Terry. Our kids need to be warned. Mine are leery of occultism but I will def. bring up the other new age stuff as they get older. Anna, that sure explains Tolkien and Cs Lewis popularity, doesn't it?