Thursday, June 20, 2013

When Dreams Come True


Sharing this on Like Mother, Like Daughter's happy, pretty, funny real link up and Clan Donaldson's Theme Thursday...

       Literally, our country life began as a dream.  We’d just moved into our new house in the dry armpits of the brown desert and having just unpacked with a baby on the way, we were pretty sure that was going to be our retirement home. 

But Our Lady appeared in my dreams with a clear directive:  “Sell your house and move.”

I thought they were instructions in retrospect  --kind of late-- but since God is beyond time, I accepted it as confirmation that we’d done the right thing.   “Uh, thank you, Blessed Mother.”

Not long after, my husband and I discerned it was time to move to the country, and then it made sense when Our Lady somehow led us to the heart of Dixie.  To farm and get soaked in rain and sweltering humidity.  

       So we boxed up half our belongings along with faith, hopes, and dreams.  

Hard to believe we’re on our third year of:
Harvesting veggies like peppers, tomatoes, okra, and squash


Asparagus' first year.

Plucking fresh eggs.
Getting to the berries before the frogs, 
squirrels and beetles beat us to it.

 Here’s that interesting conversation with a farm grown 2 year old about her favorite fruit.

2 y.o.: “Mom, I want a banana."
Me: “We ran out of bananas.  Mom hasn’t had a chance to go to the store yet.”
2 y.o (with quizzical look):  “You don’t need to go to the store.  It grows by itself.”
Days later, 2. y.o gets a big grin as she spots this:
"See Mama, it growed!"

I guess to the childlike, anything is possible. She reminds me of a city girl who once thought gardening/farming was like writing a novel, birthing without epidural, homeschooling without a teaching degree, sewing a skirt or learning to waterski in the desert.  Impossible.

10 years ago. Never too late to learn that...

 “Nothing is impossible with God.”
+AMDG+

14 comments:

Hannah, Horn, and Hannabert said...

the amazing powers of mamas to grow food!

Rebekah Es said...

This is so beautiful. Your life is beautiful! The pictures are really amazing, with all the color, etc. and the waterskiing pic...crazy!

Maia said...

This post made me grin :)

littlelovesoflife said...

Those veggies look amazing, and I love the water-skiing photo! I used to water-ski a little (many years ago), but I think if I tried it now, every muscle in my body would ache for months. :P

Laura said...

What a wonderful bounty you have! And good for you learning to water ski - I love it!

Erin Pascal said...

I just love your article! I enjoyed reading it. Your words have encouraged me and gave me inspiration. I also ask for God's opinion by asking Him for signs and it's almost all of the big decisions that I make in life. I want the Lord to get involved with every detail of my life especially the most important ones. Plus, it gives me assurance that He is with me--and I know He always is.

Anabelle Hazard said...

thank you for your encouraging comment Erin. It's why I blog to bring God a little closer to our lives.

Anabelle Hazard said...

thank you for your encouraging comment Erin. It's why I blog to bring God a little closer to our lives.

bobbi @ revolution of love blog.com said...

Such pretty photos, I especially love the vibrant colors! :-)

Anabelle Hazard said...

Thank you Bobbi. Aunt Leila referred me to a great photography website.

Anabelle Hazard said...

Thank you Bobbi. Aunt Leila referred me to a great photography website.

8 kids and a business said...

Ah, wonderful! You listened, obeyed and were (and are) richly blessed.

Mary N. said...

Now this is what you call bearing fruit! And vegetables :)

I love the country too - no peppers yet from the garden but some of the lettuce is ready!

I hear you on the humidity :(

Vicky said...

Beautiful photos, Anabelle! But, waterskiing in the desert? I thought you were joking!

Spare a thought for us in our winter woollies while you're enjoying all that beautiful humidity;-)