Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Are you a jack mule and other reflections


Writing publicly has a way of yanking my emotions back and forth.  A compliment here and there has me walking just a little taller until wham! I read another piece of writing that just knocked the gospel message out of the ballpark. I feel like a hack in the presence of Pulitzer majesty.  There are days when I’m wallowing in pitiful online obscurity until I see rabid comments attacking a poor writer for speaking the truth.   Then I’m glad I can be a veiled Catholic mama at Mass by day, writing in my PJs at night instead of a potential tabloid topic, front and center. Pride, humility, envy, gratitude. Rinse and repeat.

Since I critique my blog every once in a while, I found four recent reflective posts that have helped me deal with my writer’s struggles.  These articles don't address writing but our distinct roles in God's service.  I highly recommend all:

1.     Are You a Jackass?  by Deacon Paul Rooney 
2.     The Sad Face of Envy by Mary N.  
3.     Mary Magdalene and Peter: Pattern for the Ages by Dr. Taylor Marshall  
4.     What are you grateful for? By Terry Mc Dermott  

After reading them, you'll know what I mean when I say "Yes, yes, yes, I'm a jackmule!  I know Aunt Mabel and her plaid outfit all too well. If St. Lucia hasn't been heard, why should I expect better treatment? And I am grateful that other writers like the above have spiritual insight that I could never duplicate.  Of course, I don't envy them (at least not all the time ;))  But they inspire me because it is so clear from their work that they love Our Lord and Our Lady, not themselves, not the world.  And that's something I try so hard to emulate." 
                                    
Today's selfie.  Heehaw.
 Source
 +AMDG+

5 comments:

Mary N. said...

Jackmule? Lol. I love how your personality shines through your writing, Anabelle. This is the mark of a good writer in my eyes :)

Thanks for the link love!

Hugs from your fellow jackarse ;)

8 kids and a business said...

Uh, thanks for including my blog post in your links. The only thing I would like to add is that when I read your stuff, it's pretty darn clear that you're not writing for yourself but for the glory of God. Maybe you don't feel that way....who of us feels worthy of that?.....but you are obviously using your prodigious talents for the Kingdom and that's what being a jack mule is all about.

Sue Elvis said...

Anabelle,

I followed all the links and read the recommended posts (and notched up a few pageviews as I kept forgetting to hit 'return', and had to start all over again so I could read the next post!)

Thank you! Great articles. So much to think about as I sit here and drink my afternoon coffee.

Your seemingless effortless friendly style, and the way you put together interesting posts could cause a little envy if I hadn't read all those posts!

God bless!

Anabelle Hazard said...

Well I wasn't fishing for affirmation but I caught some big time. Thank you ladies.

Sue, I should call Bob Blog stat.

Heidi said...

I love this Anabelle! I can totally relate to your post. Thanks for linking to Deacon Paul's reflection.

It is a great blessing to read these reflections. Each one of them through the unique perspectives that help us all ponder more deeply the spiritual realities in our lives. The differences in style and vision help to illuminate different aspects of the vast and unfathomable treasures of God's truth!

Thanks to you, and all those you linked to, for discerning and responding to His call!