Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Emergency Novena


Next to Mass, the most powerful prayer is the rosary. For that reason and for the promises Our Lady made to St. Dominic, its been my all time favorite prayer. However, even I must admit that there are times when meditating on the rosary isn’t the perfect fit.  For instance, when my 3 year old suffered a night of a relentless coughing fit. Nothing seemed to help: not the elevated pillow, humidifier with blessed salt, or cough syrup. We’d all had the virus the past week, so another sleepless night seemed inevitable and I just shuddered at the possibility of spending that night at the ER, waiting for a nurse to give her a steroid shot.   



As I next to her, brushing her hair off from her forehead, I replayed the conversation with my cousin earlier that day about the emergency/911/stat novena, so named because it’s a quick call to heaven for help.  The express novena is composed of nine memorares, which sounded perfect since at that point of desperation and exhaustion, even the Divine Mercy Chaplet seemed too long.


 I began:

“Remember, O, Most Gracious Virgin Mary that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession was left unaided.  Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee O virgin of Virgins my mother, to thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.  O Mother of the Word Incarnate despise not my petition but in your mercy hear and answer me.  Amen.”

I hadn’t finished my 8th one before I realized it was so wonderfully quiet beside me and my little angel had at last fallen into restful sleep.   After the ninth memorare, so did I.


The Memorare has been attributed to St. Bernard of Clairvaux.  This wise Benedictine Marian saint has said in his book Homilies in Praise of the Blessed Virgin Mary:  “In dangers, in hardships in every doubt, think of Mary, call out to Mary.  Keep her in your mouth, keep her in your heart.  Follow the example of her life and you will obtain the favor of her prayer.  Following her, you will never go astray,  Asking her help, you will never despair.  Keeping her in your thoughts, you will never wander away.  With your hand in hers, you will never stumble.  With her protecting you, you will not be afraid.  With her leading you, you will never tire.  Her kindness will see you through the end…”   

+AMDG+

14 comments:

Micaela Darr said...

So beautiful, Annabelle. Thank you for the reminder. The way my life is going, I might need this daily! Haha! (Cue maniacal laughter.) ;)

Anabelle Hazard said...

Micaela, emergency novenas are essential in a mothers kit.

Gina said...

Exactly the one I used when I was told I was likely miscarrying Vincent.

I prayed 9 Memorares every single day until I got the ultrasound (9 days later) that gave him the all clear.

Momma Mary is so loving with us. She never fails.

Anabelle Hazard said...

Gina WOW! Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to have to pray that till I get what I ask for ;)

Merci-Notes said...

Thank You Anabelle for this wonderful Novena.

I was wondering if the wonderful image of Our Blessed Mother, Mary is from a stamp or stencil. It is beautiful.

God Bless,
With Kindness,
Mary

Anabelle Hazard said...

Merci, I don't know. I received that as a card and took a picture of it. Thank you.

The Mad-Eyed Monk said...

This is beautiful and powerful as is our Blessed Mother. Thank you for the gift of this wonderful emergency prayer! God Bless...

GL said...

Just wanted to post thank you! I prayed the emergency novena for two days and both days I experienced a miracle.

Anabelle Hazard said...

Oh wow. Thanks for telling me. Our Lady is so gracious.

Marjorie Reagan said...

All of us. What a great way to start each day. My life.is in need pf miracles daily too and I think perhaps the whole world. Im going to try it daily. My mind races its hard to concentrate. Hopefully I can handle and focus long enough to do this. I am praying for you.

CN said...

Praying the novena for normal hospital results that are making me anxious

CN said...

Praying the novena for normal hospital results that are making me anxious

JM said...

THANK YOU

Prayer to the Virgin Mary (never known to fail)
Oh most beautiful flower of Mt. Carmel, fruit wine splenderous of
Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist
me in my necessity. Oh Star of the Sea. Help me and show me herein
you are my Mother. Oh Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven
and Earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to
succour me in my necessity.
There is none that can withstand your power. Oh show me here you
are my Mother. Oh Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have
recourse to Thee (3 times). Thank you for mercy towards me and
mine. Amen. This prayer must be said for 3 consecutive days and after
that the request will be granted and the prayer must be published.

Unknown said...

Am going to try this - my situation is quite desperate.