Wednesday, January 29, 2014

5 Recommended Home Remedies


Nothing against doctors and traditional medicine, but I am not afraid of home remedies either, especially the ones that have worked for us.  So I’m joining Hallie’s link up with my Five Favorite Home Remedies:

1. Lemon Water for acidic stomach




            I was under the impression that lemons are the last thing you need to take when your stomach is sour from acid but a friend told me a slice of lemon becomes alkaline when you mix it with a glass of water.  She was right.  My acid was gone in sixty seconds.  Goodbye Tums!

2. Cranberry + Probiotics for UTI

            Everyone knows this already, right? But for those who don’t, here’s what even non-quack doctors prescribe… a glass of cranberry juice and mix a capsule of priobiotics into it.

3. ½ t. Baking soda + 1/4 c. Water for ear piercing infections


Who knew baking soda=healthy lobes?
            My girls just had their ears pierced and one of them had redness, swelling and even pus coming out of the earlobe. Per Dr. Google's RX, I soaked a cotton ball with the concoction and squeezed it over their earlobes. (I did also put mupirocin topically). Both times, the swelling and redness were gone in twenty four hours.

4. Coconut Oil for skin problems

            Coconut oil is a staple for home remedy usees but for our eczema and dry scalp prone household, we get the most use of it by lathering on virgin coconut oil on the affected area twice a day.  The results aren’t instant but they do go away.

5. Ginger for nausea

            When the girls and I took that flight to the Philippines, which involved 19 hours of flying time, I packed Dramamine, and ginger gum.  Since ginger helped with my pregnancy nausea and gum is an air-travel requirement for children with ear pressure problems, I lumped them together by going for ginger gum. My most motion sickness-prone daughter had several bouts of nausea and chomped on her gum but didn’t once have to use the barf bag or swallow a pill.  And I didn’t have to use any stress-calming essential oils.

BONUS:  Cure-all for cold, dreary and bummer weather:



                                 Chocolate French Silk Pies!

5 comments:

Mary N. said...

Good advice, Anabelle! I've used 2,
4 and 5 but have never tried the others. My favorite is bonus # 6 but you probably knew that already, didn't you?

Jen M said...

I did not know the lemon trick. Thanks!!

Amelia Bentrup said...

Great remedies! For Urinary Tract Infections, we've used D-Mannose with great success....usually just a day of hitting the D-mannose hard cure it.

Jamie Jo said...

Mmmmmm....French Silk pie is the cure all for everything right?

I loved these tips...I'll have to pin these!

Anabelle Hazard said...

Thanks for the tip Amelia? will have to get that at the herb store next time.

Jamie Jo, after the snow storm I'm going to need another slice.

Your welcome, Jen m? hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

Mary, come over for some pie when you have a bd hair day.