Friday, April 25, 2014

What 40 Days Without Blogging Can Do For You


Its been a long and peaceful forty days staying off the blogosphere.  Frankly, my thoughts are countless and disjointed –no, schizophrenic—so I’m joining Jen @Conversion Diary for 7 quick takes just to keep you updated:

1. Divine Mercy Sunday is here!  Have you seen the miracle of the sun and the rainbow at the Shrine of Divine Mercy in the Philippines?  You may want to put your sunglasses on to view the sun phenomena to avoid eye damage. I know it seems silly to read your computer with your 'Jackie O’s', but we lawyers like to complicate everything and put signs up like that to avoid liability.  



2. Do you know how many things get done when you stay off blogging? I got to read up on writing books, and polish up and edit my novels.  On Good Friday, no one was more relieved than I was to echo Jesus words: “It is finished.”  St. John Paul II inspired me to improve on my craft. In addressing literary writers in his Letter to Artists, he hammered home a message.


3. I finished reading Scott Hahn’s “Angels and Saints.”  Without intending to, I used his outstanding biblical and theological basis to check on whether my portrayal of the heavenly characters in my novels was accurate. I was relieved to find out that I wasn’t writing heresy.  You will want to read “Angels and Saints” because it also contains mini biographies and quotes of Dr. Hahn’s favorites saints.  And if you homeschool, you will want this on your children's curriculum.  It is apologetics and theology in one great book and will be in our high school reading list. You can tell how much I like a book when I pluck out a favorite quote and make a meme of it:




4. I also got to watch the DVD on “Saint Barbara.”  Highly recommend it, and not just because of the great-looking Italian actor Simone Montedoro, who plays the noble Roman soldier converted by the saint.  But mostly importantly, because of the great-looking Italian actor Simone Montedoro, who plays the noble Roman soldier converted by the saint.

5.  You know what else you find time for when you’re off the blog? A homeschooling conference to kick up your sagging end-of-school motivation. And there's just enough days to execute a themed children’s birthday party instead of just dreaming about it and envying Pinterest ideas.  Oh, you also find more time to play with your camera and make more FB memes:

 


Of course you want to see what a once-in-a-three-year themed party looks like at my house.
 That's Princess Anna on the right performing a magic show.


6. I spent the best, most meaningful and healing Holy-Week ever, ever.  My first Tridentine Holy Thursday Mass with a glorious choir singing Latin hymns, Good Friday with the Benedictine monks and their Gregorian chants and a weekend retreat given by the Alliance of the Two Hearts that capped with an Easter Mass and Benediction at the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament.   (I took down lots of notes on spiritual warfare which I’ll stretch into a post soon.) 

7.  You want to know if I would go on another forty days without blogging?  Lets just say there should be an International Catholic Blogging 40 Holidays of Obligation, in my opinion.

+AMDG+

4 comments:

Lea Singh said...

Wow, we have a lot in common, it is nice to discover your blog (though the 7QT). Like you I am a cradle Catholic/revert, non-practicing lawyer and homeschooling mom. I am also an aspiring writer, but without a single book written yet! Hoping to get on that soon. Any tips on writing for busy homeschooling moms?

Anabelle Hazard said...

Hi Lea, thank you for stopping by and commenting. I have lots of tips but I am not your typical novelist who wants to sell ;) The one thing I wish I knew before I self-published my first draft was to read the best writing books in the world. Stein on Writing, Word Painting, Woe is I, Writing the Breakout Fiction contain the most valuable advice. And then write, redraft, edit, and write. If you have that desire, go for it.

Mary N. said...

An amazing video, Anabelle. Reminded me of Fatima! (And what a Divine Mercy statue!)

Michaela and I loved the movie Frozen - we decided it was our favorite movie of the year :) How about you? Oh, that's okay, you don't have to answer that...I can tell it was yours as well.

Great pictures!

Anabelle Hazard said...

Hi Mary, glad you liked the video. We're not over our Frozen love here but my husband is getting tired of the songs.