Friday, October 24, 2014

Guilty Gifts from my Social Media Blackout


Joining 7 Quick Takes today.

Don’t send out a search party, I’m still alive! I’ve just been strictly off social media for the last thirty days to discern, fast and pray over something.  While I haven’t sorted the insights of the self-imposed “retreat,” I come bearing (guilty) gifts to share inspiring highlights of my sabbatical.

1.   This song “Ave Maria Alleluia” by Dan Kantor is my go-to song when I want to remember the peace that Jesus promised.  It's not the regular Ave Maria, fast forward to 1:30 if you don't believe me. (I’ve only been able to find it in youtube, but if you find it on i-tunes, please let me know the artist’s name.)

2. The latest book by Marino Restrepo Purgatory: Divine Mercy. Ohmygoodness, go get a copy and give yourself and the souls in purgatory a gift for All Souls Day.  Mr. Restrepo divides the book into four parts:  Church doctrine and teaching on purgatory as well as biblical basis for it, the writings and mystical experiences of the saints with the poor souls, Mr. Restrepo’s own experience and understanding based on his mystical experience, and the various prayers for the souls along with promises given by Jesus to the saints, as well as a comprehensive list of the means for obtaining plenary and partial indulgences for the souls.  


3.   The Covered Deep by Brandy Vallance.  Because mine was not a typical retreat, I indulged in fiction reading.  This Christian romance won my heart.  It has an impressive list of positive reviews from the Christian Writer’s Guild and it is worthy of every glowing praise.  A young woman dreams of a man of her prayers and finds one on a trip to the Holy Land. The heroine was just how I like them --strong , spiritual and a great role model for single young women.  The hero is a surprise but characterized with heroic virtue. The setting of a journey, a Christian pilgrimage was full of symbols and imagery, as a writer I often reread sentences to marvel at Ms. Vallance's literary skill.  If you like my kind of fiction, you'll want this on your shelf.



4.  We celebrated the Fatima Feast day with the Alliance of the Holy Family for a Family Night.  Being part of a procession with rosary and waving of white handkerchiefs/Kleenexes as is customary in Fatima was a treat for me.  My night photography still hasn't crawled out of beginner level, but this is all I could shoot of the floating rosary made of balloon beads.


5.  Have you heard of the short Marian consecration prayer sung this beautifully? 

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXvgGnd_pr0

The singers are from the Shoenstatt Shrine in my hometown. Schoenstatt began as a pilgrimage place in Germany.  In 1949, Fr. Kentenich invited a covenant with Our Lady and promoted the Shoenstatt devotion all over the world.  If you sign up for the pilgrim mother campaign, a replica of the miraculous picture of the Blessed Mother rotates around a group of families and visits your home once a month.  For the last 27 years, Our Lady has been a treasured monthly guest in our family. Shoenstatt apostolate celebrated 100 years this year as televised on EWTN.

6. Turns out my social media blackout protected me from all the hype and hysteria over the Synod.  I did hear some nervous murmurs questioning the Pope’s religion (second hand) but after I read his statement at the end of the Synod, St. Peter’s successor didn’t strike me as a dummy. So when we ran into him, I smiled and happily posed.

Sorry to cut off the little people but my selfie is a good enough gift, right?
            I guess more bold and opinionated bloggers would have jumped at the chance for a private audience teeming with unsolicited advice and fraternal correction ;) but I’m still hearting Pope Francis and I’m with Mark Mallet on his opinions about the Pope -- how I’ll have to pray (which I do!) and trust that the Holy Spirit is guiding him. 

7.  "What we Take to Heaven" by Michael H. Brown.  Having enjoyed “The Other Side,” I was excited to read this sequel.    There were several NDE stories and private revelation that I was familiar with, but there are also some undocumented new ones that managed to surprise me with insights on the afterlife.   I found the chapters on finding our life missions and the evil of criticism particularly reflective. This book is, like they say in the South, “Winner, winner, chickin’ dinner!” 

Enjoy the presents. 
+AMDG

4 comments:

Mary N. said...

There you are :) Glad everything is going well, Anabelle! (And you better put up pictures after your baby BOY is born!)

I'm reading Michael Brown's book right now - ordered it on my Kindle the other day. Marino Restrepo's is on my wish list (bet that doesn't surprise you). Thanks for the links!

Rae said...

A beautiful Ave Maria! And I must check out _The Covered Deep_... Thanks for the recommendations!!

Anabelle Hazard said...

I'm done playing hide and seek for a while, Mary. Of course you'd be reading Michael Brown and Marino Restrepo, of course. Got something you want to recommend?

Rae, you're welcome. Enjoy The Covered Deep.

Vinoth Kannan said...

Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u



Catholic Rosary Beads