Friday, January 23, 2015

Rabbits, Exorcist, Romance...What a Mix!


1.  I’m on a blogging streak.  I apologize if that means too much reading for you.  I assure you I will disappear soon enough the closer Lent and my due date come.  Meanwhile, here’s even more reading that I culled.  Some are highly recommended, others with caution. Oh, and joining 7QT at This Aint the Lyceum today.  Thanks, Kelly for hosting.

2.  If you haven’t had enough of the rabbit reading, I’m going to link up to my article on Catholic Stand How to Handle those Mixed Feelings about Pope Francis’ Remarks. 

An excerpt:
           
             It pains me to read rabid criticism from Catholics towards a real human being, who happens to be our Supreme Pontiff.  At the same time, I feel sorry for the sting that large families (who selflessly welcome children and witness to our faith in their vocation) felt from that now infamous rabbit interview. 

              My feelings are mixed, without rhyme or reason, and they are what they are. However, no one in the throes of passionate emotion, firing slingshots of disparagement at anyone has my sympathy.  Vitriol is unpleasant, risks a permanent breakdown in relationship, and becomes counterproductive to getting a point across to the intended audience.  There is more productive way of expressing oneself clearly without going overboard and retaliating in backlash.

            From a licensed family therapist, I’ve learned a perfectly reasonable method for communication.  It’s this:  I must own my feelings instead of blaming my emotions on the other and attacking him for causing it.  It sounds pretty simple, and I thought I was the last adult to mature into this realization, but maybe its time to preach it loud as a reminder to some pockets of the Catholic comment boxes and the blogosphere…


3.  Have you read this interview with an exorcist about the top  twenty things the devils loves and hates?  Oh my goodness, I give you permission to skip my article above but you cannot NOT read this.  It is excellent.   The Likes and Dislikes of the Devil

4. 
Of course, I have Christian romance fiction to recommend.  How to Catch a Prince by Rachel Hauck.    An American heiress and a mysterious prince, with a secret history.  You’re right, I was intrigued.   I have only praises for this novel with its whimsy and the right touch of faith and miracles. Out of the royal wedding series by Rachel Hauck, this one was the winner. 



5.   Prelude for a Lord by Camille Elliot.  This is my first book written by Camille Elliot and already I love the author.  She writes poetically, knows how not to turn romance into mush, and definitely can keep you glued to the mystery.  Lady Alethea and Lord Dommick are drawn together by a common love for violin music and  team up to solve a mystery and escape danger (really the romance is almost an afterthought).  The best thing is that both characters learn about God’s love and trusting in God. I am quickly in search of her other novels, which I’m assuming are about the other engaging cast of characters.

6.  The Wishing Season by Denise Hunter.   Denise Hunter is the master of modern Christian romance, and the premise of this one was promising: Hero and heroine competing to turn a historical home for each of their ambitions.  However, the brooding hero was a bit too brooding for me.  I wanted to learn more insight about his character but wished Ms. Hunter didn’t show an unnecessarily disturbing scene from his past with such detail.  It made me squirm, like watching an awkward TV scene with your parents or children. I also wished there wasn’t so much kissing going on in full view of Christian readers.  TMI, if you ask me. The book is okay, but I wouldn’t recommend this to a younger reader at all.

7. 
The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie Klassen.  The little bit of mystery of a manor that Ms. Klassen wove into the story page turning.  The romance angle was tight and the heroine was appealing.  The hero however, being a Christian preacher,  had ideas that were insufficient to Catholic teaching.  (I wrote about relationship with Christ versus rules of religion previously and will link to Leila Miller’s article on Catholic Stand why we Catholics believe that we, the Church have a role in reparation and uniting our offerings with Christ’s sacrifice.)  The story is good as Ms. Klassen is a talented writer, but if you are a Catholic, read cautiously with a steady grip on our doctrine.   

No comments: